Monday, November 2, 2009

Going Vintage: The Cloche

I've had a slight obsession with Cloche Hats ever since I watched Angelina Jolie in Changeling. 

The hat is the epitome of 1920s style, but it can easily carry over to your modern wardrobe.  They're feminine and pretty -- and can easily dress up your jacket on a rainy day to make you feel like a silent film star.  Plus, you can add one to your closet without breaking the bank.

Style tips:  Keep to the more narrow brim.  It's more elegant than the style that re-surged in the 70's.  Also, the classic colors tend to match the style better than the brights, especially in wool felt.  And finally, try to pair your hat with equally feminine pieces.  The cloche hat doesn't really fit in with just a pair of jeans and your comfy, long-sleeve t-shirt.

I found this one while trying not to buy anything during a shopping trip at TJ Maxx. It just happened to be one of those bargains I couldn't pass up.  After all, I'm the Bargain Fashionista.  Note, this picture is from London Fog's website of the hat in black.  My TJ Maxx one is in gray.

(deal of the day) London Fog Felt Cloche Hat with Button in Gray, $15.00 in stores at TJ Maxx (originally priced $44.99)

Forever 21 also has a few cute styles, including one that seems almost straight off the screen from Changeling:





Feel like splurging?  Check out Cloche available at Banana Republic.  I love the navy color with the black ribbon detail.


 (Splurge of the Day) Ribbon Cloche Hat in Military Blue, $50.00


If you're extra crafty, you can save even more and customize your own Cloche by crocheting one.  I found several patterns online.  These are a few of my favorites: 





I especially love the floral one, though I would like to see it in navy with a creme flower I think (hint, hint my crocheting cousin Kiki  - you know you're my favorite ;-)  )





No comments: